Cold Salmon with Black Sesame Crust and Herb Mayonnaise Recipe
- Yield: 2 Servings
A homemade mayonnaise prepared with free range eggs, extra virgin olive oil, and fresh herbs is delicious and nutritious.
- The Salmon:
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 ounses black sesame seeds
- 10 ounces skinless salmon fillet
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- The Herb Mayonnaise:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- freshly ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped watercress
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped capers
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- For the Herb Mayonnaise: In a stainless steel or ceramic bowl, beat the egg yolk with a wire whisk. Add the mustard, salt, vinegar, and lemon juice, and mix until well blended.
- Add the oil by pouring in a slow steady stream and beating continuously. If the sauce becomes too thick, thin it out with 1/4 teaspoon water. Add the white pepper and taste for seasoning.
- Put the parsley and watercress in a piece of cheesecloth, twist the ends together to close, and squeeze the juice from the herbs into the mayonnaise.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the watercress and parsley. Blend thoroughly. Taste and adjust seasonings. Chill until ready to serve.
- To Prepare the Salmon: Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the salmon into 2 equal fillets. Season with salt and pepper and press the sesame seeds into 1 side of each filet to form a crust.
- Place the fillets in a buttered baking pan and add approximately 1 cup of the vegatable stock. The stock should just cover the bottom of the pan to a depth of 1/4 so as not to rinse away the sesame seeds. Bring to a boil on top of the stove and place in the pre-heated oven for approximately 7 minutes or until the fish is just cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool right in the cooking pan. Cover and refrigerate.
- To Serve: Place the cooled salmon on two chilled plates and garnish with the herbed mayonnaise. Serve with a mixed green salad, if desired.
- Course: Entrée