Wild Goose Tarte Flambée
- Yield: 4 Servings
- FOR THE CRUST:
- 2 teaspoons instant active dry yeast
- 3/4 - 1 cup warm water (100 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- FOR THE CHEESE TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup large curd cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- FOR THE ONIONS:
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- FOR THE BREAST:
- 1 goose breast, uncooked
- sea salt
- freshly gound pepper
- Preheat the oven and a pizza stone to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- TO PREPARE THE CRUST:
In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Stir in the honey and allow to stand for 5 to 7 minutes. Put the flour and salt in a food processor fitted with a stainless-steel blade. With the motor running, add the yeast mixture and the olive oil. Process until the dough forms into an elastic ball.
- Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until double in size. Once the dough has doubled in volume, punch the dough down and knead it on a lightly floured surface for 1 minute. Divide the dough into two equal portions and roll them into tight balls. Place the dough balls on a tray, cover with a damp towel, and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to use, remove from refrigerator and allow the dough to come to room temperature, approximately 1 to 2 hours. Turn one of the dough balls out onto a cutting board and dust the dough with flour. Pick up the dough and, keeping both hands together, grasp it lightly at the top of the edge. Letting gravity do the work, start rotating the dough as though you are turning the steering wheel of a car. This will stretch the dough without the risk of thinning out the center too much. Roll and stretch the dough out very thin to form a 10-inch circle.
- Prick the dough all over with a fork. Then, place the crust onto the heated pizza stone and bake in the oven for 4 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- TO PREPARE THE CHEESE TOPPING:
Using a spatula or a wooden spoon, combine the ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
- TO PREPARE THE ONIONS:
In a large frying pan over low heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and slowly sauté, stirring occasionally, until they are soft and just beginning to color, approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- TO PREPARE THE BREAST:
Slice uncooked goose breast into large 1/4” x 1” julienned slices. Season with salt and pepper.
- TO MAKE THE TART FLAMBEE:
Spread the cheese topping evenly over the surface of the pre-cooked dough. Scatter the sautéed sliced onions and goose slices evenly over the topping. Bake the tarte flambée in the center of the oven until the crust is golden brown, approximately 5 to 8 minutes. Remove your tarte flambée from the oven, cut into slices and transfer to a serving dish. Serve at once.
Substitute store bought pre-made pizza crust for the home made crust.
- Course: Appetizer